Mục lục bài viết
Writing task 2 – Traffic and transportation problems – bài mẫu band 8
Người viết: thầy Cao Bách (IELTS 8.0)
Topic: Some people suggest that to solve traffic and transportation problems, we should encourage people to live in big city rather than in the countryside. Agree or disagree?
Bài hoàn chỉnh
Traffic congestion has been a major problem for urban planners in recent years. Many solutions for this have been proposed, with one notable example being encouraging people to move from the countryside to large cities. This essay will present evidences to prove that this solution is not feasible.
First of all, cities are the main source of traffic problems because of dense population, if more people move in, traffic will get worse. An influx of new residents would mean more vehicles on the streets, thus resulting in increased percentage of deadlocks. It is estimated that for every 10 new cars hitting the road, the rate of congestion goes up by 300%. Ho Chi Minh City officials reported in 2019 that 1,000 immigrants from other places to the city led to 10,000 new traffic incidents.
Furthermore, if the metropolises become crowded, traffic infrastructures will be overburdened by the immense volume of vehicles. Maintenance cannot keep up with the speed of deterioration due to constant traffic. Many major cities around the world are struggling to repair damages to streets and highways. In Hanoi, Vietnam’s capital, there are numerous repair sites that cannot finish their operation in time because roads break down faster than they can be fixed.
In conclusion, migrating people from rural areas to cities will introduce more cars to the streets and overtax the infrastructures, thus worsen current traffic problems. It is recommended that government officials move people away from crowded cities into satellite towns or suburban areas to reduce traffic congestions.
252 words – 42 mins
- Traffic congestion = deadlock (n): kẹt xe, tắc nghẽn giao thông
- Propose (v): đề cử
- notable example (n): ví dụ điển hình
- feasible (adj): có thể, possible
- dense (adj): đặc, dày đặc
- influx (n): dòng chảy vào, sự thêm vào
- hitting the road: lên đường
- immigrant (n): người nhập cư
- metropolis (n): đô thị
- infrastructure (n): cơ sở hạ tầng
- overburden = overtax (v): làm quá tải
- immense (adj): to lớn
- maintenance (n): bảo trì
- deterioration (n): sự bào mòn, xuống cấp
- damage (n): hư hại
- repair site (n): khu vực sửa chữa
- rural area (n): vùng sâu vùng xa
- satellite town (n): đô thị vệ tinh
- suburban area (n): khu ngoại ô